[Greenbuilding] Dryer vent backdraft solutions

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Wed Sep 21 12:34:04 CDT 2011

Rob,

I've used and recommended the Heartland for years.  IMHO, it's the only
outside dryer fixture with even a hope of preventing backdrafts - and it
does that reliably.

It's also provides the easiest access for clean-out of the duct of any
system I've seen or tried.

Most clients love it, once they get past the "mushroom" appearance.

  I have only heard of one complaint.  A friend, not a client, said that
when he tried one, his dryer took longer to work.   I haven't seen his
system and he didn't provide more detail, but this is completely at odds
with other feedback.

I suspect that his duct run may be the real problem - too many elbows
and/or a long flexible duct run - but I have not had an opportunity to
check further.   I believe he mentioned that the cup never rose fully;
also odd.  However, it was a chance comment on meeting in the street, so
details and my memory are sketchy.

If you install one, I recommend making sure the connecting duct is - or
converting your current exhaust run to - straight, smooth pipe; sealed
and with the minimum length and fewest turns possible.  Where possible,
use two 45's in place of a 90 degree elbow.  Make sure the pipe seals to
the dryer discharge and the outside vent.  If a short, straight run is
not practical, change the duct to 6" (most installations I see are
usually 4"), with a reducer at the dryer if necessary.  The Heartland is
set up to accommodate a 6" duct for a reason.

If the run is long, or convoluted, consider adding a clean-out access at
a point that will let you sweep the full length.  (Lint build-up could
be another of my friend's problems, and a fire hazard to boot.)

I hope this is useful,
Bob Klahn