[Greenbuilding] Quartz Infrared Heaters

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Thu Sep 22 10:00:39 CDT 2011

Corwyn writes: For heating areas, or people?

My comment:

This is for heating people.  However, I do not understand how it works.  A
radiant infrared lamp directed at an occupant will deliver heat to the body
without heating up the whole space.  However, in this device, the lamp is
inside a box that includes a fan to distribute the heat convectively.  The
box is warm to the touch, but not hot like a woodstove.  My guess is that a
lamp is used to heat up copper plates and a fan blows this heat to deliver
to space.  Therefore the heat is not radiantly delivered to occupant.  I do
not understand why 1kwh electricity would produce more heat the 1kwh of
heat.  I know someone on this list does understand these devices.  I hope
you are willing to explain it to the list.

Thanks Eli