[Greenbuilding] Induction cooking

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Mon Sep 26 09:23:18 CDT 2011

Induction stoves are great.  I learned about them from this list.  My wife
started out a little skeptical, but is not a believer.  We are moving
towards grid tied photovoltaic.  The most efficient cooking is microwave. It
heats the water first which is the food.  The ceramic or glass container is
heated by conduction from the food.   We do not use plastic.  However, some
foods like stir fried vegetables, boiled foods or some bread baking do not
work in microwave.  Foods that require a lot of boiling or frying go to
induction stove top.  Foods that require baking go to Brevell Oven.  This
used a typical heat element, but it is smaller than typical oven.  The
controls are very precise for heating temp and time.  It is big enough for
almost all we cook.  The big Thanksgiving Turkey is the only dinner event it
could not handle.  However, we discovered that we cut the Turkey up and it
is able to cook half the Turkey which is more than enough for our
traditionally glutinous meal.  It is the least efficient of three.  However,
it's smaller size and superior control makes it far more efficient than the
traditional range, gas or electric.

Benjamin Pratt writes:

In my case, with a house that I've tried to tighten-up, but which is
still somewhat leaky--I don't exhaust any of the heat from my gas
stove. So it's very efficient--any energy that does not cook the food,
helps to heat the house.

My comment:

The inefficient appliance that produces waste heat is only a benefit during
the heating season.  In the summer it is an additional liability for comfort
or cooling cost of removing that heat.

Eli