[Greenbuilding] sealing plywood floor?

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 4 12:08:10 CDT 2012

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 13:32:58 -0400, Benjamin Pratt
<benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com> wrote:

> wouldn't 1/2 plywood warp over time?

I can't add anything to WatJohn's excellent comments on the water vapour
issues & warping.

The other evening on my way to the mailbox, I met up with a neighbour whose
basement flooded recently (Spring Thaw), the result of a sump pump failure
and no
back-up in place. I don't envy him one bit WRT the clean-up. He has since
replaced the sump pump, added a back-up and a flooding sensor with
auto-dialer to his cell phone. I suppose that so long as the two pumps,
flood sensor, auto-dialer and cell phone are all working properly the next
time, he'll be okay.

Another neighbour had the same thing happen just a couple of years ago  to
their 1 yr-old home.
$60,000-plus to fix the water damage to the finished basement.

And then there's the whole subdivision in town, that 3 years ago, had
their basements flooded with backed-up sewage after a heavy rain
overwhelmed the municipal sewers. There was no salvaging of anything from
those basements.

The reality seems to be that with conventionally-detailed basements (ie
tarred on the exterior surface, backfilled with native soil, perimeter
drainage tile, sump pump inside), especially in low-lying areas (or even
in high and dry areas, laundry room/kitchen/bathroom incidents do occur)
flooding is not a rarity so anticipating such would be prudent.

I'm trying to imagine what would happen to a plywood-gooped-to-stryofoam
floor (ie drying from one side only )in such a situation.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom