[Greenbuilding] apples, oranges, and u values

KTOT (g) ktottotc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:37:46 CDT 2012

I haven't been following this thread (have been out of town) but my year-old
off-grid, passive house with low-e Weathershield windows and very excellent
spray-in insulation (and extremely tight all around) performs magnificently.
In this cold northern Rockies winter at almost 6000 foot elevation, the
house was heated almost entirely by passive solar, with solar thermal
radiant providing the heat the rest of the time, my backup Rinnai almost
never kicking on at all. I never used the wood stove for heat as the house
stayed warm enough without it. The low-E windows had two different values,
something like 176 and 273 (not quite those, I'm sure), but I'd have to look
those up in my records to be correct on the types of low-E.