[Greenbuilding] apples, oranges, and u values

stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com
Mon Apr 16 18:00:09 CDT 2012

Well RT, from one older guy to another - that 12+yr old memory that was
pretty good.

For anyonne who wants a longer version of the story:

I was in Houston at The BIG National Home Builders Show. I was in the
booth of our lineal supplier. A tech person from a very BIG Window Maker
(say - West Coast Competitor M), also a customer of our lineal supplier
was int he same booth. He was saying how they just moved into the Denver
market and they were getting condensation at the bottoms of their jambs
(on the roomside face), in a few (not all) houses.

He knew it wasn't really the fault of the fglass because it was always
the same part of the frame (not some random location), but he didn't
really know what was going on.

Compared to vinyl fglass is strong like bull, so there are few if any
internal multi-chamber honeycomb type walls. The frame sections are kind
of tube-like. My guess is that in moving from a warmer West Coast
climate to a colder Denver climate they were now seeing the effects of
natural convection within the jamb. Just like you can get condensation
at the bottom of a insulating glass unit - which is kind of a big open
tube - they were getting condensation at the bottom of a jamb - which is
kind of a big open tube.

One way to stop the condensation is to supress the natural convection
with insulation. In a double glazed window, like those made by West
Coast Competitor M, an insulated frame does not really change Uwindow,
but it sure as heck could eliminate condensation on the frame.

In the intervening years.....
1. Cost cutting measures by some vinyl window makers mean more and more
internal walls are being removed, making their frames more tube-like. I
expect some of them are experiencing condensation on their frames.
2. Some fiberglass frames that formerly had open backs (which made it
easy to verify that the frames were in fact insulated) are now made w/
closed backs. While stronger the closed back frames make it harder to
verify the existence of any claimed insulation. Although condesation at
the bottom of the jamb would be a strong hint that it might not be
there.
3. RT's memory is as strong as ever.

thx
Stephen