[Greenbuilding] Passive House Overheating

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Thu Aug 16 09:57:16 CDT 2012

> Opening windows depends on clients and weather.  In say, Chicago, there
> can be weeks when the temperature at night is not below 70-75 and so is not
> an effective cooling option. In many houses, people dont know or want to
> bother opening windows at the right time. Based on the my walks through
> suburbia across the US in the early evening when it is cool outside and the
> AC units on house after house are running, I would venture to say this is
> the vast majority of people.

this leads to a question...in a refrigerated system, can you effectively
distinguish the energy required for reducing sensible heat from the energy
to reduce latent heat?  The question arose on a project I am consulting on,
in which the supposedly leading edge mechanical contractor designed an AC
system that uses the dank, dark, and dismal 120 yr old basement as a return
plenum.

but more to the point of this thread, it goes to the effect of opening
windows at night in a humid climate, where carpets, bedding, and other
furnishings absorb water vapor, and yield it back while the system is
operating.

AA