[Greenbuilding] ... device to purify human waste, make compost and generate electricity

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 19 01:41:29 CDT 2012

The technology mentioned at the beginning of this thread is potentially more
relevant to 'developed' countries than 'developing' or whatever terms you
want to use. I think this was also part of Gates intent with the competition
.

China is a good example of a country that has utilized human waste as  a
fertilizer both rurally and within cities and as a result is less dependent
on petroleum based fertilizers and sewer infrastructures. Systems vary but
basically waste is collected from holding tanks in buildings deposited in
large 'ponds' or containment and various treatments and amendments are used
and within 30-90 days typically is used as an amendment. Fishponds were
traditionally used and this was common in germany until the 40's.

Gastro intestinal risks are high viral and bacterial less so but still
significant what is probably the biggest potential future concern may be
chemicals that we consume and form part of our wastewater (pharmaceutical,
metals , etc.) and our farmed soils concentrating those loads.

So the question goes back to how do we best derive energy from our waste
(basic recycling question) without further contamination. Does it matter
what form the energy takes and how it is used within a community? If health
is a criteria then it does matter as food is now global and bacterial and
viral infections such as cholera, typhoid, Hep A are not limited to a
hundred mile diet. If the health of the soil is a criteria then it also
matters.

The energy from our waste will at some point be utilized - questions of
recycling are about utilizing it sooner which means taking advantage of it
as an 'economic' benefit - I think the real concern is the amount of
contamination we introduce and how that can be contained and the developed
world is the major problem for this.

A toilet for north America that turns feces and urine into hydrogen fuel
cells and recycles the water for the next flush - better than a Toto pumping
into a sewer system. We can call it the Micro soft stool operating system
until apple gets their IPOO into operation.