[Greenbuilding] Article about report released this year: “The Greenest Building: Quantifying the Environmental Value of Building Reuse”

molasses at q.com molasses at q.com
Tue Aug 21 22:34:21 CDT 2012

Interesting article: http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/08/21/the-high-cost-of-adaptive-reuse-in-portland/

A snippet: "The report compared environmental impacts of seven types of renovations – such as commercial to office, warehouse to office and warehouse to multifamily – in four cities: Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix and Portland. It found that 10 to 80 years are needed for a new building 30 percent more efficient than an average-performing existing one to overcome the negative climate change impacts related to construction."

Problem is, it can be expensive to do the seismic upgrades, and people usually opt to build new. "Spataro said the city should perhaps consider a different approach. 'Rather than subsidize building reuse, why not tax or penalize the new construction?” she said. “Right now, in my opinion, we make it too easy to make the new construction happen.'"

Kat