[Greenbuilding] ... device to purify human waste, make compost and generate electricity

Grace Annam grace.annam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 08:24:12 CDT 2012

On 2012/08/19 14:55 PM, Corwyn wrote:

> As I said, my compost pile DOES reach 120°F and 140°F, without much
> control.  Monitoring only makes sense to me, but strictly speaking isn't
> necessary.  If your compost pile does not reach 120°F, I contend that
> you are doing it wrong.  I have proven that it can be done.

So does mine.  Sometimes, when adding new material, I see char where the
old material got so hot that it dried too much and did a slow burn.

Build it properly, which takes only straw-and-structure (so bales do
fine, and so does straw-plus-pallets), and add enough material, and that
pile will cook.  It happens that excrement, plus urine, plus sawdust to
cover it while it's in the toilet bucket, plus the kitchen scraps, is an
excellent mixture to achieve a hot pile.

Grace

--
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and
become more, you are a leader.