[Greenbuilding] "AIR TIGHT" wood stove

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Mon Aug 27 16:28:07 CDT 2012

On 8/27/2012 3:45 PM, Alan Abrams wrote:
> is there such a thing as a truly airtight wood stove?

No.  In fact, EPA rated stoves are specifically made to be less air
tight than (some of) their predecessors.  Obviously, no air means no
fire.  Wood stoves with outside air, might be airtight *with respect to*
the house, but I doubt even they would be truly airtight.

> how about an  airtight chimney damper?

Never seen one.  It would be a tough engineering task.

> I mean like passive house air tight...

You mean tight enough to have in a passive house, and still have it
pass?  Then, yes.  I have seen a certified passivhaus which had a (very
small) wood stove.

> (I know, I know, these people are going to roast their kneecaps off,
> running a wood stove in a superinsulated house...)

Not necessarily.  Depends on the climate.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap