[Greenbuilding] Flood resistant walls

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Mon Dec 17 16:03:05 CST 2012

I am working on my first post Sandy job here in NYC and am excited to
see a shift in client expectations.
We are both on the same page that there will be another flood and it
will be larger than Sandy.
He has a three story row house typical of Brooklyn and Red Hook.
His first floor got two feet of water. His cellar became a swimming pool.
My challenge is to rebuild the cellar and first floor so that when it
floods 8 feet he will sustain minor damage.
All mechanicals are moved up to the top of the building.
The brick on the party walls are left exposed.
The interior walls will have removable floor and ceiling molding that
exposes the inside of the wall for ventilation.
My main challenge is to find a surface for the interior walls. Sheet
rock is not an option.
I would like something lower embodied energy than say Dense Glass panels.
Any suggestions?

Gennaro Brooks-Church
Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA