[Greenbuilding] January Update - Our Space Heating Requirements

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 2 13:14:02 CST 2012

As some of you may recall, we heat our forty-four year old 2,500 sq. ft.
Cape Cod with two 3.5 kW ductless heat pumps, the older of which we
replaced this past fall with a more energy efficient model.  For our
most recent billing cycle ending January 25th, our electricity
consumption year over year is down 626 kWh or an average of 10.1 kWh per
day; this despite the fact that we now have two refrigerators running
whereas last year we had one (don't ask, I have no say in the matter).

In any event, last month we used a total of 860 kWh for space heating
purposes.  Our average hourly temperature this January was -3.4°C and
last year it was -4.3°C, so a portion of the savings can be attributed
to the slightly milder weather (December was unchanged).

For a breakout of last month's electricity usage, see:
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/Jan2012.jpg

For the first four months of this heating season, i.e., October 1st
through January 31st inclusive, our heat pump related consumption comes
to 1,923 kWh, the energy equivalent of 219 litres/58 gallons of fuel oil
at 82% AFUE.

See: http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/O11-J12.jpg

Our twelve month running total now stands at 10,352 kWh (space heating
and cooling, DHW, lighting, appliances and all plug loads) and our plan
is to get that below the10,000 kWh mark by March.  I should also note
that all of the electricity that we use is either wind or low-impact
hydro sourced through Bullfrog Power.

Cheers,
Paul