[Greenbuilding] Green Funerals

Reibstein, Rick (ENV) rick.reibstein at state.ma.us
Thu Feb 2 13:41:35 CST 2012

One of the problems with cremation is mercury emissions.  It is important to remove the fillings in teeth before burning.  It would be great to hear if anyone knows of this as standard practice anywhere, or offered to the families.  I have always been curious if crematoria don't already remove teeth - for the gold, or the silver that is combined with the mercury.

Rick Reibstein
MA Office of Technical Assistance
Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
9th floor, 100 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
617 626 1062