[Greenbuilding] clay wall for pool

Peter/Pam Martin p2j2 at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 2 14:11:50 CST 2012

At 09:22 AM 2/2/2012, Rob Tom wrote:
<snip>
>As you may be aware, Bentonite clay is used extensively for making garden
>pools.
>I've never used the stuff myself. The closest I've come to Bentonite is
>kitty litter. (Not that I use kitty litter. I have had bags of it around
>when cat-sitting for friends. (I just chucked the cats outside. No way I'd
>live with caturds in the house.)
>
>I've often wondered if used kitty litter might be diverted from the
>waste-stream and utilised in building where the fertiliser component might
>be beneficial. There must be gazillions of tonnes of the stuff going into
>municipal waste streams weekly.
<snip>

I've never used Bentonite clay for pools either but I have in the
past used significant quantities of clay kitty litter, though
somewhat fewer than gazillions of tonnes. I now use wood stove
pellets as kitty litter; they are compostable, cheaper than clay,
have a pleasurable odour, and the felines have not complained. I
don't think I should recommend using pellets for pools however. Peter