[Greenbuilding] frozen ground

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 6 15:36:32 CST 2012

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:50:21 -0500, Clarke Olsen <colsen at fairpoint.net>
wrote:

> ground is frozen, maybe 4". Should we put down our 4" of ridge foam,and
> presume that it will thaw from below,

> or leave it uncovered, and try to thaw it from above before putting down
> foam?

I'd vote for "A", the "no auxiliary heating" option.

And I would also wait until the stuff under the foam has fully thawed out
before casting the slab.

ie Water expands volumetrically some double-digit amount (I forget whether
it's 11 or 17%) so if the finished height of the slab is important...well,
you know.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")