[Greenbuilding] New approaches to Septic?

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 7 18:53:44 CST 2012

After 30 years of looking at and employing alternative(s). I have to confess
that the traditional tank and leach field is extremely effective if the
right conditions exist to support it. It has the benefit of being around for
a while without major water contamination incidents - relatively idiot proof
and relatively maintenance free - which the planet seems to require of us.

I have also dealt with numerous treatment 'systems' from sand beds and foam
chunks (biofilters) to wetlands. Typically these systems are used where
conventional fields won't work or can't fit. Essentially the new approaches
are a consolidation of contained biofilter treatments developed and
accredited over the last 2 decades - and there are a number of
manufacturers. They run about 4 times the cost. Regional health authorities
may have treatment systems that they have approved for use in the area or
they may require an engineer certification. I am no longer in favour of land
based solutions like wetlands as (like a farm) they require some tlc and
despite the best of intentions I don't always see that happening.

John