[Greenbuilding] More CO problems--equalizing solar batteries

KTOT (g) ktottotc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 16:08:46 CST 2012

I never said I NEED seven. I said I HAVE seven. Four are non-digital that were installed when I had the house built. Two on main floor, one in utility room, one in storage part of garage. I’ve since added three digital which I can move around easily, but I generally keep one in the bedroom, one in the main living area near the kitchen, and one in the utility room where all the solar and other off-grid equipment is. Thus seven. Sounds excessive but I don’t think it is, though if I were redoing it, I probably wouldn’t install all four non-digitals.

The irony is tight houses are supposed to be a good thing. I had a fantastic builder who overbuilds everything, and this house has proven to be extremely tight. Even when way below freezing, the passive solar almost completely heats the house, day and night. For three seasons of the year it’s not a problem as the house has very high clerestory windows meant specifically for venting as well as very low ones which help with circulation. Once winter is past, I’ll have those windows open full-time. Just not right now. Next winter I may try leaving one or a few of the high windows open a crack all winter (not now—it’s a pain to get an extra high ladder to get up and reach them, and spring will be coming soon enough) to see if that resolves the problem. Meantime, for the cooking issue I’m about to order some wok stands as I think the person who mentioned the large pans on the propane burners may cause the CO problem may be onto something. As far as the solar batteries, no one is at all addressing my question, so I think I need to find some off-grid, not green building, forums for that. To me, however, green building includes off-grid energy sources.