[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Mon Feb 20 16:55:51 CST 2012

  -----Original Message-----
  From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org]On Behalf Of Sacie
Lambertson
  Sent: Tuesday, 21 February 2012 2:14 AM
  To: Greenbuilding
  Subject: [Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

  All, Our Bosch propane tankless heater is beginning to fail and we are
thinking about replacing it with another tankless.  It is located in a shed
next to a cabin that is not always used, although for the next several years
we anticipate a regular single occupant.  The current model has a pilot
light; obviously we prefer one that is electronically ignited which I think
they all are now.  Suggestions, thoughts?  I've read a number of reviews.
It would not be too difficult to install a passive solar heated system in
this cabin too, an alternative.

  I think all gas heaters are electric start. I haven't seen a pilot light
for years.  No comment on the solar but you are likely to need a booster
anyway, and the new gas heater will suffice for that.

  I've used tankless for years now but one aspect of the type I dislike is
the fact a lot of water goes down the drain before the hot water finally
reaches the faucet.  In this cabin the shower is within 10 feet, with the
sinks not over 15'-18', but water loss nonetheless is a negative factor.

   I don't think you can blame the type of heater for that. They are more
often a solution than the problem, which is more likely to be down to bad
architecture, There is even a possibility that the pipes are too big, and
you might check the insulation while you are at it. My daughter has a cold
water diverter in the hot pipe to a bathroom. It was pretty expensive and I
think it's only for the desperate.

  Nick Pyner

  Dee Why   NSW