[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:11:27 CST 2012

Well, thanks for the note regarding your experience, Corwyn.

There are always missing details aren't there?  Re the shed reaching
ambient outdoor temperature, my shed has a small space heater in it to keep
it from freezing.  Necessary for the tankless.

Re passive vs active solar, yes you're correct.  I apologize for my lack of
precision.  Was thinking of the difference between PV and panels on the
roof.  Below is the wiki take on passive.  I note pumping glycol obviously
isn't part of such a system.  How about a drain-down system?  I suspect
this might fit in the def. of passive.  Rhetorical of course but not a bad
application for my situation.  Pumping the water back up would scotch the
passive deal though.

Thanks,  Sacie

*Passive solar technologies include direct and indirect solar
gain<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_gain>for space heating, solar
water heating <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_hot_water> systems based
on the thermosiphon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon> or geyser
pump <http://www.sunnovations.com/content/how-sunnovations-system-works>,
use of thermal mass <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_mass> and
phase-change
materials <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_Change_Material> for slowing
indoor air temperature swings, solar
cookers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cooker>,
the solar chimney <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_chimney> for
enhancing natural ventilation, and earth
sheltering<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_sheltering>
.*

*More widely, passive solar technologies include the solar
furnace<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_furnace>and solar
forge<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Solar_forge&action=edit&redlink=1>,
but these typically require some external energy for aligning their
concentrating mirrors or receivers, and historically have not proven to be
practical or cost effective for widespread use. 'Low-grade' energy needs,
such as space and water heating, have proven, over time, to be better
applications for passive use of solar energy.*