[Greenbuilding] 100 miles builds

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Sat Feb 25 21:30:30 CST 2012

Agreed -- ideally we'd use detailed LCA to do our comparisons, and
the LCAs would incorporate all transportation legs, using local
ecological impact factors to account for variables such as different
energy sources and differing environmental reg's/standards. So a
product shipped from, say, India might include shipment by truck
(using typical Indian truck standards and fuels) to the port, thence
by ship to probably the West Coast, thence by large truck to a
distribution center, thence by smaller truck to a retailer and
smaller truck or car from there (or by UPS-type truck from
distribution center to end user).

The socio-political issues (mentioned in Jason's great previous post)
are even more difficult -- if possible at all -- to quantify.

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291

author - Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design