[Greenbuilding] 100 miles builds

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Sat Feb 25 21:39:17 CST 2012

There was a major article on this very debate recently. I thought it
was in EBN, but I can't put my finger on it.

David Bergman

At 10:14 PM 2/25/2012, Jason Holstine wrote:
>Id argue that's overly generalist and not necessarily true. (a)
>better they rebuild at net zero than trash, but putting that
>aside... The old home may have been a creaky sieve with asbestos and
>lead paint hanging out. How healthy and responsible is that? But if
>it can be deconstructed and many parts reclaimed and reused--in this
>project or donated--then replaced wth a healthy, highly efficient,
>water smart and durable space that can last longer than the old
>place....and fosters local jobs and other green projects, could be a
>big net gain.
>
>Sent from my iPhone. My thumbs apologize for poor grammar.
>
>On Feb 25, 2012, at 9:53 PM, bill.allen at verizon.net wrote:
>
> > I recently saw a lovely, old home torn down in order to be
> replaced by a new, "net zero", "green" home.  Sad.
> >
> > Another rule of thumb should be "the greenest home is an existing home"....
> >
> > Bill

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291

author - Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design