[Greenbuilding] 100 miles builds

bilrob at silcom.com bilrob at silcom.com
Sun Feb 26 09:33:43 CST 2012

Living here in New Orleans there are many opportunities to use salvaged materials; durable, materials.
And there are several places where salvaged stuff can be purchased:
The Green Project, PRC, Old City Building Center, Habitat Restore, The Bank and Ricca's to name a few.
Not to mention the materials that can be salvaged from a rebuild.

Architecturally and environmentally outstanding.

However there are two real world issues that need to be addressed:
Lead paint and building to current hazard resistance requirements.

I will just look at the lead issue.
Using old materials, far better than what we can buy at any building supply store stocking new materials,containing lead paint is a risky business.

Let's take it for face value that lead causes neurological damage to children and even to adults.
Once there lead containing materials are reintroduced into the structure there is an added exposure to the lead-based hazards. Especially friction surfaces, doors and windows.

When proper precautions are not taken the persons using the structure are exposed.

This is not meant to discourage building material reuse but instead to take all of the implications into consideration.