[Greenbuilding] A question regarding sealing in VOCs

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Sun Feb 26 10:33:30 CST 2012

AFM Safecoat. You can do a couple of combinations.

One coat of their Transitional Primer and 2 coats paint (any color; flat,
pearl, eggshell or semigloss sheens)

If the offgas/odor is especially bothersome, you can first do a coat of
their Hard Seal (which is a clear gloss sealer specifically to seal in
offgassing; good for plywoods and surfaces that will remain exposed), then a
coat of Transitional Primer and 2 coats paint.  Each coat adds more sealing
capability.

They have a trifecta for handling carpet: Shampoo, Lock-in and Carpet
Sealer...to wash out loose contaminants, seal in junk from the backing and
adhesives, and seal in from the carpet fibers.

For particleboards and surfaces that won¹t be exposed, their Safe Seal is a
greater sealer than the Hard Seal. But it remains sticky to the touch, thus
why it¹s best when not exposed (behind a wall, under a cabinet, etc).

And their polyurethane (Polyureseal BP) is a great wood finish but also the
best sealer. So in order from good to best: Hard Seal ­ Safe Seal ­
Polyureseal.