[Greenbuilding] Romanticizing the past WAS 100 miles builds

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Sun Feb 26 19:41:17 CST 2012

One thing I think is important to note about building techniques
commonly used before a hundred years ago: there were a hell of a lot
less buildings and people, the buildings were a lot smaller and they
took way longer to build.
>From what I have read on this list I would venture to say I am one of
the biggest fans of old world materials and building techniques on
this list (vs. the focus on numbers and energy efficiency), and I am
very aware of the challenges of old world building techniques in a new
world environment.
It is easy to say that old world construction involved large amounts
of deconstruction, and that may be the case but it is almost
irrelevant. The numbers of buildings are so massively different, the
culture is completely changed, and the materials are unique.
A community rebuilding a farm house is one thing. A corporation
building an office building is a whole different animal. The business
model is the main difference, which drastically changes priorities and
outcomes (I venture to say for the worst but then again we are dealing
with 6 BILLION people!!!!!! We have become HUGE)
Gennaro Brooks-Church
Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
www.EcoBrooklyn.com