[Greenbuilding] reused materials

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Feb 27 14:01:53 CST 2012

<The original concept is what I call the Zero Building Technique - no
waste is created during demo (it is reused on site or elsewhere), no
new materials are bought (only salvaged) during the construction, >

appropos GBC's ZBT, the Pritzker was just awarded to Wang Shu.  This is
from the current NYT:

In designing the Xingshan Campus of the China Academy of
Art<http://eng.caa.edu.cn/>in his native Hangzhou, Mr. Wang also
reused materials, covering the campus
buildings with more than two million tiles from demolished traditional
houses.

“Everywhere you can see, they don’t care about the materials,” Mr. Wang
said in an interview. “They just want new buildings, they just want new
things. I think the material is not just about materials. Inside it has the
people’s experience, memory — many things inside. So I think it’s for an
architect to do something about it.”

see more at:
--
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/arts/design/pritzker-prize-awarded-to-wang-shu-chinese-architect.html?hp

-AA

*Alan Abrams**
Abrams Design Build LLC*
*A sustainable approach to beautiful space*

6411 Orchard Avenue Suite 102
Takoma Park, MD 20912
office  301-270-NET- ZERO (301-270-6380)
fax      301-270-1466
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com