[Greenbuilding] interesting info re what systems are we living with today that were designed for the past....

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 4 16:21:24 CST 2012

Sacie offered:

> http://www.quora.com/What-are-some-systems-we-live-with-today-that-were-designed-for-a-world-of-the-past#ans903979

I haven't actually looked at the above site but Kathy Ging's (?) post
about installing carpet in her home seemed to fit with Sacie's topic.

For at least the past three decades, people who have aspired to build
Green and healthy homes would not think of installing carpet in them even
if they were made of "natural" fibres.

True, natural fibres wouldn't off-gas the horrible stuff that most
synthetics do but regardless of the type of fibre, carpet collects and
harbours crud, allergens, mites, atmospheric pollutants/contaminants etc
... none of which contribute to healthy indoor air.

And I am also reminded of the woman who complained that her sunspace
wasn't performing as per design predictions. Turns out she had covered the
high-mass floor with indoor/outdoor carpet. D'oh!

I can understand why those people in the past who lived in uninsulated,
drafty old castles and houses would want to put down carpet to make their
living space a little more comfortable but in 2012 when warm floors and
draft-free interiors are possible ?  (And "no" the "safer for little jam
faces doing face plants" argument doesn't fly. A whole generation of
kids-without-carpeted-interiors who are now cosmetically, perfectly-fine
adults is plenty of proof to the contrary.

and re: Sanjay's run-from-a-CD Puppylinux

Ubuntu can be run from a USB pen drive (aka memory stick ... ie handy for
those units which may not have a CD-ROM drive) and can do so without
having to do anything about the pre-existing operating system that is on
the computer's hard drive. That is to say, one can boot up from the hard
drive and run the existing operating system or boot up from the pen drive
and run Ubuntu.

And Ubuntu is updated to a new version every four months, with the updated
version being offered at no cost.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom