[Greenbuilding] Hydro-Québec TOU Rates (was Low powered (wattage) water heaters available through Hydro Quebec)

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 5 00:13:55 CST 2012

Hi Nick,

Hydro-Québec launched a TOU pilot project back in 2008 (see:
http://www.hydroquebec.com/rates/heurejuste/pop-heure-juste.html) and as
I understand it the Régie de l’énergie determined that TOU rates would
be of limited benefit to the utility (the average reduction in demand
during the peak period was a modest 0.3 kW per participant) and that
they would unfairly burden ratepayers. The biggest hurdle is that the
vast majority of homes in this province are heated electrically, and
typically with baseboard strips that cannot be shut-off/dialed-back for
an extended period of time without negatively impacting personal
comfort. The only practical way to shift this load off-peak would be
through the installation of ETS heaters and that's a prohibitively
costly proposition for most home owners.

By 2017, H-Q will have converted all residential account holders to
"smart" meters, so it's conceivable that TOU rates could follow at some
future date, but the likelihood of that happening any time soon is remote.

For additional background, see:
http://www.regie-energie.qc.ca/audiences/decisions/D-2011-028.pdf

Given the province's heavy dependence on electric heatand the
temperature sensitivity of this load, Hydro-Québec's dual-energy rate
seems like a better fit.

See: http://www.hydroquebec.com/residential/tarif-residentiel.html

As at October, 2008, some 120,000 Hydro-Québec customers subscribe to
this rate, although I expect that number has grown significantly over
the past three years.

Source:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=17bb1a83-f804-48cd-bc92-de65617a932a

Regards,