[Greenbuilding] windows - flush vs recessed

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 16 11:03:31 CST 2012

The most common detail I have seen (mostly in PH details, but  is one which uses an undrained EIFS over the window.
The flashing you are talking about is just a rain shedding / sun shield / esthetic finish.  Water leaks past those, and as a result leaking windows are the number one moisture problem in buildings. The flanges and grooves are not far enough in to deal with rain leakage in most exposed locations, they are just the rainscreen.
The drainage plane must come under the window (aka subsill flashing - see attached simple sketch for one mid-performance solution), regardless if it is flanged (most common in US residential windows and a lot of Canada) or not (most commercial, all European, many Canadian residential windows).

The low cost solution is often to make the the face of the exterior foam the drainage plane. This works well with exterior flanged windows, but can also work with plywod bucks.
The higher performance solution is to place the drainage plane behind the foam (which can be rockwool sheathing in this arrangement) but outboard of the sheathing and framing (which are the components that need protecting).

We have taken flanged windows and attached them instead with metal tabs, as sometimes this installation method is desirable.

I dont have the NIST house drawings on my laptop, but will try to get them.  Have lots of site photos: see peel and stick membrane air and water barrier wrapping inside the window opening.  When you add R25 on the outside of this, you get a very low U-value enclosure.

--
Prof. John Straube, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Dept of Civil Engineering / School of Architecture