[Greenbuilding] windows - flush vs recessed

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Wed Jan 18 09:08:45 CST 2012

On 1/16/2012 9:49 AM, Alan Abrams wrote:
> thoughtful article.  PH teaches that the optimum location for windows is
> near the center of the section, based on modeling in THERM.  an
> important consideration is preventing a metal flange from acting like a
> cooling fin--.  this, however, is based only on conductance, and does
> not consider wind lashing or exposure to rain, which is discussed in the
> article.

I would clarify that one wants the *thermal* center of the wall.  I was
(thankfully) able to convince a client with a center insulated rammed
earth wall, that the place for windows was in the middle of the
insulation (not at the outside).  In that case the difference was
something like 25% of the total heat load (yes, an extreme case).  If
that insulation had been offset from the center of the wall, the windows
would have moved with it, not stayed in the center.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap