[Greenbuilding] Hot3000 - License Expiry message?

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 18 18:09:38 CST 2012

HOT3000 is an hourly model that uses actual hourly weather files and a true mass and energy balance. This allows it to be much more accurate if such accuracy is required.
The monthly average method used by PHPP is quite an approximation and requires fudge factors to get close to the right answer.  I have often heard it claimed to be "the most sophisticate" or "the most accurate", but I have never seen these claims substantiated.  PHPP's best feature is its simpleness and transparency (features I value very highly), but it is not that sophisticated.  Never use it for detail design myself, just for initial scoping design.
THERM is needed for most energy modeling programs to get the R-value of details right.
WINDOW or similar is useful to get true window U-value.