[Greenbuilding] Subject: mounting rigid insulation above sloped framed un-vented roofs.

Thomas Lewis plea_4peace at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 05:35:27 CDT 2012

Hi Eli,

We use sheets of poly iso with a fiberglass facing rather than polystyrene.  It is much less susceptible to cracking during install and much more friendly to the environment.  (although I'm pretty sure they all contain bromide fire retardants, so make sure you use a vacuum when cutting any of them) It had a higher density so great for walking on and I think it has a better r value too.

the last roof we did had existing fiberglass in between the roof sheathing and ceiling for much of the roof area, the owner didn't want to tear up everything in the house so we blocked up the rim with spray foam, applied ice and water shield to the whole roof (now we have air barrier) laid down two layers of the 2" poly iso (should keep dew point inside foam board), sheathed over the whole thing, then breathable synthetic felt, then standing seam.

For all of our foam board installation we make a tray out of spf that follows the perimeter of the roof and boarders skylights and chimneys, this is screwed down to framing over the roof's structural sheathing, infill it with foam (just keeping it tacked in place with a few button nails, filling gaps over 1/8" with sprayfoam and taping seams if the installation isn't over an air barrier), then covered entirely with 5/8" ply screwed down to the framing.

I would definitely recommend against using furring strips over foam board, especially over eps.  I've never tried it, but I think it will make for tricky furring strip installation.  With the reduced surface area you will find the strips will pull into the foam board and rock unevenly.  I've found that even with using full sheets of ply over eps, the screws had to be kept in from the ply edge ~1 3/4 in order to keep the ply from bending into the foam.

If you are going to be using long screws to attach the roofing, then what are the furring strips for?  We put down a complete layer of ply so that like any typical metal roof, the roofer can screw to the sheathing. for you, couldn't you just tape the seams and go?

I hope this helps,

Tom Lewis

"Time makes more converts than reason."  Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Message: 3