[Greenbuilding] solar heat collection

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Fri Jul 6 09:35:22 CDT 2012

Clark
Good luck with your project.  Please keep us informed as it develops.

I have worked on this concept of annual cycle thermal storage. I have not
found a client and a project to test the theories.  However, for total solar
heat collection, according to my calculations 1000 gallons would be too
small for significant storage.  Off season, depending on your collector
size, you would store heat up to a high temp when there are no heating loads
drawing off heat. As the heat rises, the standby heat losses increase.
Having said that, I still see value in storing what you can off heating
season such that you start the fall/winter with your maximum stored heat.

In my thermal models I worked with varying the solar collector size, tank
size, and thermal loads (standby tank heat losses and building heat losses).
With my local climate data for average solar and rated efficiencies of
collectors, and conductive heat losses from tank, I found that in order that
the minimum temperature does not drop below 90F, what I consider to be my
lowest useful temp without boosting with another energy source, for single
family homes, with good thermal envelope, this takes about a basement sized
tank.  I was proposing converting basement or crawlspace into tank with foam
and waterproofing.  The larger the tank if properly balanced, the more
efficient the storage.  Heat losses are proportional to both the temperature
difference to ambient (room temp for top of tank, outside air for above and
near finish grade, and ground temp below ground) and ratio of surface area
to volume.  Both of these increase with a smaller tank.

I too am considering am considering convert a 8'x8'x8 cellar room into a
thermal tank at my house.  This would not be enough to store heat sufficient
to provide all heat.  However, it could store enough heat to serve radiant
wall heaters for 5 or 6 days of winter heat loads.  The off season stored
heat would soon be consumed.  Therefore, I am wanting to boost temp with
wood fired boiler with forced draft to assure a hot efficient burn.  In this
way, I am heating with wood.  However, the dirt and ashes would be outside.
Once a week I could charge my thermal tank, and draw off the heat with
thermostat to get just the amount needed, unlike wood stove in the space.
Taking the wood stove out of the house and the chimney reduces the air
leakage for outdoor air feed and thermal bridges of chimney that would be
removed, insulating and sealing those holes.

Eli