[Greenbuilding] Subject: mounting rigid insulation above sloped framed un-vented roofs.

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 5 11:02:02 CDT 2012

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 07:09:00 -0400, Alan Abrams
<alan at abramsdesignbuild.com> wrote:

> a PH consultant and owner of 4.75 High Performance Building
> Products, recommends (and sells) vapor barriers with variable
> permeability

> Permeability drops in winter, helping to keep
> moisture out of the cavity (which could otherwise condense on colder,
> exterior surfaces).  Permeability increases in summer, allowing the
> cavity  to dry to the interior.

Okay. I have to confess that I harbour a prejudice against
PassiveHouse/Haus because I think that it's very confused and when I saw
the above claim the needle on my built-in BS meter made a few twitches to
the right.

I had to wonder if that "variable (vapour) permeability" was more a
function of temperature rather than some magical property of the material.

ie In when cycling strenuously in winter I often find that there will be
accumulation of condensation on the inside of supposedly vapour-permeable
Gore-tex outerwear whereas in warmer weather, there will be none of that
condensation.

I just assumed that the condensation in winter was due to my body not
providing enough heat loss to keep perspired moisture in vapour form for
long enough to drive it out through the Gore-tex.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")