[Greenbuilding] mounting rigid insulation above sloped framedun-vented roofs.

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Fri Jul 6 11:30:23 CDT 2012

At www.Buildingscience.com article   RR-0108_Unvented_Roof_Systems
describing unvented roofs they reference their concern that the foam layer
be of sufficient thickness to insure that when air reaches the bottom of the
foam, the surface temp will be above dew point.  The assumption, I guess is
that air will penetrate the rest of the assembly and show up at the bottom
of the foam.  However, if the framed rafter was filled with dense pack
cellulose or fully stuffed fiberglass or roxul, no wires or plumbing are
installed, and the drywall is managed to be an air barrier, where would the
air come from?  With no holes in the foam layer, there will be no driving
pressure to deliver moisture laden air to the bottom of foam.  However, more
typical rafters with wires, recessed electric boxes, unsealed plumbing
vents, this would provide a path for air to get to the bottom of foam,
particularly if cold.

If this is a problem, this would be a good reason for all the insulation to
be rigid above the roof sheathing, one of the scenarios I described for use
with an attic truss.  See below

They use a formula of Ratio of thermal resistance above condensing surface
total thermal resistance:
16 ÷ 46 = 0.348
Temperature of Condensing Surface = (ΔT x 0.348) + Outdoor Temperature

Any thoughts on this recommendation?

Clarke:
I think that standing seam needs more continuous support: the 16" space
might be too much.
Corrugated panels can cheerfully span 2x4's @ 24"oc.
Eli:
The high slope greatly reduces the load on the panels.  I do like corrugated
roofs better for their spanning capability.  However, sometimes we must pay
homage to the past with traditional materials in our market.  Standing seam
roofs are very good roofs with good recovery potential as do the corrugated
roofs.

Thomas Lewis:
We use sheets of poly iso with a fiberglass facing rather than polystyrene.
It is much less susceptible to cracking during install and much more
friendly to the environment.  (although I'm pretty sure they all contain
bromide fire retardants, so make sure you use a vacuum when cutting any of
them) It had a higher density so great for walking on and I think it has a
better r value too.

Eli:
The extruded polystyrene(xpx) is very good about not cracking the expanded
polystyrene(eps) is much more vulnerable to cracking.

I used 3"fiberglass polyiso over the walls of my house.  According to JLC
Energy Efficiency Manual, the polyiso has a higher R value initailly,
however, thermal drift from outgassing results in a long term R value of 5
to 5.5 according to JLC Energy efficiency manual.  This is comparable to
extruded polystyrene(xpx).

Thomas Lewis:
the last roof we did had existing fiberglass in between the roof sheathing
and ceiling for much of the roof area, the owner didn't want to tear up
everything in the house so we blocked up the rim with spray foam, applied
ice and water shield to the whole roof (now we have air barrier) laid down
two layers of the 2" poly iso (should keep dew point inside foam board),
sheathed over the whole thing, then breathable synthetic felt, then standing
seam.
Eli:
Not tearing up the interior makes this a good retrofit strategy for when the
roof shingles expire.  This avoids the interior mess in an occupied
building.

Thomas Lewis:
I would definitely recommend against using furring strips over foam board,
especially over eps.  I've never tried it, but I think it will make for
tricky furring strip installation.  With the reduced surface area you will
find the strips will pull into the foam board and rock unevenly.  I've found
that even with using full sheets of ply over eps, the screws had to be kept
in from the ply edge ~1 3/4 in order to keep the ply from bending into the
foam.

Eli:
My polyiso walls are installed this way.  I put 3"x3/4" osb (plywood on
future projects)furring strips at 2'oc.  After an initial struggle with the
wrong long screw, we ended up with 5 5/8"GKR bugle head screws that were
wonderful.  It would pull the furring strip tight, but it did not compress
it.   I put fasteners in the middle of the strip.  I also dab caulk where
the screw is going to be placed to seal these new holes.  The GKR screws can
countersink into the wood.  Therefore, you could put a dab of foam in a
recessed hole to reduce the fastener thermal bridge.

According to JLC Energy Efficiency Manual, the compressive strength of
polyiso ranges from 16 to 24 psi. Extruded Polystyrene (xps) has compressive
strength from 15-100 according to Owens Corning.  The load polyiso could
take if mounted over structural sheathing would be 8inx12inx16#/si=1536#/lf.

Thomas Lewis:
If you are going to be using long screws to attach the roofing, then what
are the furring strips for?  We put down a complete layer of ply so that
like any typical metal roof, the roofer can screw to the sheathing. for you,
couldn't you just tape the seams and go?

Eli:
Where I am using the corrugated roof, you ask my same question.  Why not
skip the sheathing above the foam.  Also the corrugated ribs can provide
some ventilation below roof to allow drying.  However, in our are, we must
pay humage to the past with traditional standing seam roofs.  The furring
strips as I described would provide the mounting surface for screw fastened
cleats for standing seam.

Clarke Olsen:
My favorite roof pitch is 8.5 in 12, aka 10 in 16: the golden mean, used on
all 19th cent. barns,
houses, and churches in New England. With a metal roof, it's the steepest I
can stand on and
the shallowest to shed snow.
Eli:
You must have sticky feet.  I consider 7/12 with regular shingles my
steepest confident foot pitch.  Metal roofs would more slippery.
Clarke Olsen:
Roxul is a better choice then fiberglass.
Eli:  What makes it better?