[Greenbuilding] Critical Temperature Location (was Re: mounting rigid insulation above sloped framedun-vented roofs.

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 5 17:00:28 CDT 2012

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 12:30:23 -0400, Eli Talking
<elitalking at rockbridge.net> wrote:

> At www.Buildingscience.com article   RR-0108_Unvented_Roof_Systems
> They use a formula of Ratio of thermal resistance above condensing
> surface to  total thermal resistance:
> 16 ÷ 46 = 0.348
> Temperature of Condensing Surface = (ΔT x 0.348) + Outdoor Temperature
>
> Any thoughts on this recommendation?

Back in the early 1980's when double-stud walls were popular amongst the
energy-efficient buildings set, in this part of the world (Ottawa ~8750
HDD/yr before era of climate change) the rule of thumb was to have at
least 2/3 of the total R-value of the section (roof or wall) on the "cold
side" of the vapour-impermeable surface (ie the "continuous air/vapour
barrier" as it was called up in plans back then).

This meant that you could place/detail the air barrier on the outside of
the inner 2x4 stud wall (ie nominal R-13) fully insulate the balance of
the thickness of the wall (ie typically nominal R-26 or better while it
was still laying horizontal on the floor deck during framing) and after
the shell was erected, have the sub-trades install all of their stuff into
that inner 2x4 wall without having to worry about them compromising the
integrity of the air barrier with penetrations.

In subsequent years having opened up 10 or 20 yr-old double-stud walls
that I had built back then (ie to do additions & renovations) there was no
evidence to suggest that that rule of thumb is not valid. ie The framing
and insulation showed none of the tell-tale signs of moisture-related
issues.

Of course, it might also suggest that the builders had their anal
retentiveness quotients "ARQ" (aka "pucker factor") WRT air-sealing set
very high so that no air-leakage whatsoever occurred. How likely is that,
eh ?

However if one has a look at the chapter on "Moisture in Building
Construction" in the ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals, in particular the
section that illustrates how to graphically determine the critical
temperature location, that  80s rule of thumb is validated.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")