[Greenbuilding] FW: ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Jul 20 01:14:51 CDT 2012

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 01:06:21 -0400, Matt Dirksen <dirksengreen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On a personal note, we really, really tried to line dry all our clothes,
> but when it came down to having to stick them back in the dryer
> afterward, due to the pounds of pollen on three kids worth of laundry,
> and the constant fear of deer tick exposure (Greenbelt, MD)... It became
> quite difficult for the sake of a few kWh's of electricity.

> I wonder about a bicycle powered clothes dryer!?

One could divert some tempered patio door glass from the waste stream and
make a glass enclosure over one or more of those umbrella-type
clotheslines.

No pollen, bugs, atmospheric pollution fallout, bird poop, hurrying to
gather it all in if a sudden rainstorm comes up ... nor fresh outdoor
breeze smell.

How to incorporate treadle power ?

Instead of just sticking the supporting pole of the umbrella into a hole
in the ground, slip the hollow end over the shaft of some salvaged
automobile part that spins on bearings, connect it indirectly or directly
to a bike , preferably with a flywheel in between and I'll betcha you
could get that sucker spinning like a merry-go-round on bennies.

Of course, with laundry flying around at 40 kph or more, you'd need to
develop some better clothespins.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")