[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 22 07:36:12 CDT 2012

Count me as one of the evil doers, Steve.  But, hey, I purchase 3,000
kWh/year of renewable energy in excess of our household needs and you're
welcome to all of it.  :-)

There are roughly 90 million tumble dryers in the United States alone
and no matter how much we collectively hold our breath and stomp our
feet (or pontificate), they're not going to magically disappear.

According to Natural Resources Canada, electric dryers sold in 2008
consume, on average, 916 kWh a year.  That number is based on eight
loads a week, which works out to be some 2.2 kWh per use. As a two
person household, we typically run two loads of laundry a week -- 229
kWh/year.  A TV set-top box (and there are reportedly 160 million of
them in US households) or digital video recorder could consume upwards
of twice that over the course of the year. Where are the pitchforks and
torches?

Cheers,
Paul

>I am really I don't live up to your standard.
>
>I guess there is no hope for us all.
>
>---- Steve (KZ6LSD)

>>/  On 7/21/2012 5:57 PM, Steven Tjiang wrote:
/>>/
/>>>/  Reuben, you're right in "purist" sense but I think the energy star dryer
/>>>/  program is still a net win.
/>>>/
/>>>/  A net win for the planet.  Think long term. If we run a program to
/>>>/  convince people to line dry OR we make energy star dryers the standard,
/>>>/  which one would result in less energy use for clothes drying?  Of
/>>>/  course, we should do both.  BTW, clothes dryer don't have to use fossil
/>>>/  fuels.  Mine is electric and when I use it, it is powered by renewables.
/>>/
/>>/
/>>/  Thinking long term, any carbon put into the atmosphere stays there for
/>>/  around a century.  It doesn't care what you did to get it there.  It
/>>/  doesn't care how important you thought that convenience was.
/>>/
/>>/  If you are using renewables on clothes drying, that means they can't be
/>>/  used to replace someone else's fossil fuel usage.  So more fossil fuels get
/>>/  burned.  Until the entire grid is renewable, extravagant use of renewables
/>>/  means more fossil fuels burnt.
/>>/
/>>/
/>>/  Thank You Kindly,
/>>/
/>>/  Corwyn
/>>/
/>>/
/>>/  --
/>>/  Topher Belknap
/>>/  Green Fret Consulting
/>>/  Kermit didn't know the half of it...
/>>/  http://www.greenfret.com/