[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

jfstraube1 at bell.blackberry.net jfstraube1 at bell.blackberry.net
Sun Jul 22 11:51:05 CDT 2012

Sounds like a classic "the perfect is the enemy of the good"
Eg Since hanging clothes outside to dry is perfect all efficient clothes driers are bad and should not be encouraged.

When and if (big if) outside forces make the 90 million driers "non viable" we won't have to tell people to somehow dry their clothes outside. On the other hand, while we wait for this Armageddon to come,  having efficient clothes driers (like the Danes and Japanese) that use 1/4 as much energy per load would be better than not having these.
Seems to me people survived $4 gas, and folks in Europe live well with $8 gas, so there may be a bit of life left in the system that makes people want the convenience of clothes driers.
I am not an apologist for the fuels we burn and how many we do, but I am a realist about what makes a substantive difference. Increased standards for appliances (which start with Energy Star) have saved a huge amount in the last 20 years or so.