[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 18:22:21 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM, John Straube <jfstraube at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is odd to have a discussion on payback when others are saying we should
> not even consider using clothes driers as it is always dry and sunny
> outside when they do their laundry!

I live in a climate with rather little sun and high humidity. We dry our
clothes inside on a rack most of the year.

As for payback, the risk here is to assume the 8 loads/week rates as a
reasonable figure, because at those rates it will be easier to imagine
paying these machines back. But if you have one load every two weeks, then
I suspect you'd never see a payback. And for that matter if you compare the
heat pump dryer to the clothesline it would be even more difficult to pay
back the extra cost.  The majority of US households (and it isn't
dramatically different in other industrial nations) are one- and two-person
affairs. If we're talking anywhere near 8 loads/week for those households
we have bigger issues to worry about.