[Greenbuilding] ENERGY STAR Clothes Dryers Program Launch

Benjamin Pratt benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 21:10:43 CDT 2012

We could all live without dryers, cars, airconditioning, central
heating, electric lighting, lawn mowers, computers, airplanes, etc etc
etc. While some people may chose live without these things, and others
may do so because they have no choice, I don't think many people can
be convinced to live without these conveniences because it is the
right thing to do. Technology continues to advance, the population
keeps growing, and the the worlds ecology continues to suffer. I think
the best we can do is slow it down. I suppose I'm a sceptic, but I
think the vast majority of consumers aren't going to get rid of their
dryer and go back to line-drying their clothes. They are going to buy
a new one that works better, saves them money, or that they perceive
as being "cool".
    The vast majority of people who bought a Prius wou be saving more
money and doing less harm to the environment if they bought a used
economy car. Or better yet--fixed one that was destined for the
scrapyard.. But that isn't as cool, and doesn't convey the same
message, as a Prius.
    By the way, when I needed a "new" washing machine, I considered a
front loader. But they areunreliable, (according to consumer reports,
Amazon reviewers, and ever other source I consulted) having lots of
problems like smelly seals and weak "spider arms". They are also
expensive, and their cycle times are longer. SO I bought a used, very
reliable top loading whirlpool for 100 bucks off craigslist. I should
get at least 20 years out of it. And they are cheap and easy to repair
as needed. I also have a used Toyota Corolla that gets a steady 40 mpg
and do all the repairs myself. I would never try to do any major
repair to a Prius!