[Greenbuilding] Energy Star Clothes Dryers Program Launch

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Mon Jul 30 18:33:07 CDT 2012

At 07:02 PM 7/30/2012, Reuben Deumling wrote:

>And I think a major exception cited is televisions, where they've
>become more energy-efficient but they've also gotten much larger.
>But you can argue that there are two separate factors at work there.
>Similarly for refrigerators.
>

>The point I'd make is that the two are not necessarily separate.
>Bigger fridges and bigger TVs are not so easily separated from the
>energy efficiency efforts that rescue large fridges and large TVs
>from the erstwhile scorn of energy authorities, by slapping
>endorsement labels on them.

That's a reasonable point. I guess the question is: would people have
shifted to buying larger TV's and frig's had the technology not also
become more energy-efficient? I tend to think the answer is yes, and
that energy has never been the driving force behind choosing these
types of appliances, but that's only a guess/opinion.

I do agree that it is unfortunate Energy Star compares to "similar"
models, though, in fairness, they also show how much each unit will consume.

David
David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291

author - Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
blog - www.EcoOptimism.com
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design