[Greenbuilding] Another Small Step Forward

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Tue Jul 31 18:50:44 CDT 2012

When I hear of large dams, I am always concerned
with the ecosystem that will be flooded to create
it. In the tropics, large dams have been shown to
be even more greenhouse-gas-intensive than
petroleum-fueled power plants, given the massive
amount of vegetation that ends up under water and
thus rots anaerobically, generating methane as a
waste product (not to mention the large-scale
destruction of the forest).

tim keating

At 2:53 AM -0400 7/31/12, Paul M. Eldridge wrote:
>There has been considerable discussion of late
>regarding the consumption of electricity and
>fossil fuels.  Well, some good news on that
>front from our neck of the woods.  Tomorrow
>morning, Newfoundland and Labrador's Nalcor and
>Nova Scotia Power's parent, Emera, will announce
>their joint development of the 824 MW Muskrat
>Falls hydro-electric project.  Under the terms
>of the agreement, 40 per cent of the power
>generated is reserved for Newfoundland and
>Labrador's in-province needs, 20 per cent will
>be allocated to Nova Scotia Power, and the
>remainder will be sold throughout Atlantic
>Canada and, potentially, New England.  In the
>case of Newfoundland and Labrador, this
>electricity will displace oil-fired generation,
>making this province's electricity supply 98 per
>cent fossil-free, and in Nova Scotia it will
>displace coal.  The remaining 330 MW can be used
>to backstop wind, thus allowing wind to increase
>its total share in this region well beyond what
>would be achievable otherwise.
>
>If all goes to plan, Muskrat Falls will come
>on-line in 2017 and Phase Two, Gull Island, will
>add an additional 2,264 MW sometime thereafter.
>Combined, the Upper and Lower Churchill Falls
>will supply more than 8,500 MW of renewable
>energy.
>
>Cheers,
>Paul
>
>Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook
>www.blackberry.com

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298