[Greenbuilding] On earth tubes

bill.allen at verizon.net bill.allen at verizon.net
Wed Jun 6 19:52:07 CDT 2012

Nick,

The article states that not all the facts are available but the author guesses the earth tube was not sloped for drainage and that there was standing water in the earth tubes. Clearly this would contribute to their issues.

I'm trying a new twist on a small project....while I was digging the foundation for a small protected shallow foundation, I hit water...so I put in a usual 4" perimeter foundation drain (filter cloth, gravel, pipe, etc.).  I sloped it down hill to day-light.  It will clearly drain well.

For fun, I put in a "T" in it to feed up into the living space to act as a source of air like an earth tube. I'm hoping I don't get sick....

Comments welcome....(But be nice).

Bill