[Greenbuilding] surface area

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Wed Jun 6 22:02:48 CDT 2012

I am building a natural pool and could use some insight into the media used
in the regenerative zone.
Typically gravel is used since it creates large surface area for microbes
and lasts.
Ideally I would prefer something lighter so it can be more easily removed
when the pool leaks.
I considered crushed brick but dust could be an issue.
I salvaged some Spanish S tile I could put in and cover with gravel. I
wouldn't break it I would just put it in the way it comes stacked on the
pallet. Any thoughts on how that would compare to gravel in terms of
surface area? Keep in mind that microbe surface area is different than
surface area we can see.
Using safety netting from job sites would have amazing surface area but I
am not interested in the leeching possibilities.

Any thoughts?

Gennaro Brooks-Church
Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA