[Greenbuilding] surface area

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 7 10:50:34 CDT 2012

I am a bit confused about your concern about leakage and moving heavy media.
The two main approaches to natural pools use either a 'wetland' that water
is circulated through or a biofilter. The biofilter is completely separate
from the pool and is basically a large box full of media (gravel, sand,
foam). It does require maintenance but typically does not need the media
removed.

A wetland is a real pond that forms part of the flow system from the pool.
That can be a 'stream' effect but basically utilizes pipes and pumps. Again
it is a distinct area.