[Greenbuilding] Growing food by electeric light - urban sustainability?

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Sun Jun 10 21:59:41 CDT 2012

Agreed ­ false dilemma. We all know with our eyes closed and hands tied
behind our backs that it¹s so much more involved than this. But, keeping my
eyes closed, if I¹m using renewable power and the food is (obviously) local,
points in that camp¹s favor. If the store¹s food is also local and also
using renewables‹and the economics of hiring people‹oh, nice points to that
camp. But, we know that most stores are gonna bring foods in from all points
on the globe. The factories and greenhouses and hydroponic facilities and
trucks and boats use a good chunk of electricity and energy. Buzz‹sorry you
lose points.

We also know that there¹s no realistic hope of growing enough food in the
urban environment to sustain the typical household (emphasis on urban and
typical), let alone a significant population, at least not for the
foreseeable future....so their effort (like my deck tomatoes and peppers and
herbs) is more hobby than paradigm shift. So it¹s a false dilemma.