[Greenbuilding] Canadian acronym cheers

Douglas E Lamb douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com
Fri Mar 9 11:08:29 CST 2012

I know of no other origin of the term "Cheers"!

Re: The Real Origin of the word Cheers

Posted by Cloudesley on July 17, 2003

<http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/22/messages/526.html> The Real
Origin of Cheers posted by Cloudesley on July 17, 2003

Origin of the word 'Cheers'
By Cloudesley, with an assist from Oxford's J.H.Marshall of OWLS

In the medieval times 'cheer' meant face and by that expression or mood.
Although the phrase "makien cheres, & wrenchen mis hore" (making cheers, &
wenching miss whore)was written in 1225 ad. By the mid fourteen hundreds the
phrase "what chere be with you?" was a common greeting. At this time 'chere'
also began to mean good humour. It wasn't until 1919 that "cheers" was
written a salutation before a drink. The custom of touching glasses is
recorded in the '
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0199548412?ie=UTF8&tag=thephrasefinder&lin
kCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0199548412> Oxford English Dictionary' from
at least 1820
(the 'Regency' period) as something done by fashionable English gentlemen
when drinking together.

Regards,
Doug Lamb
douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com