[Greenbuilding] is it ever sensible to use PV to heat water?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:09:30 CDT 2012

Well we share the same latitude and longitude (as does the house I'm asking
about). We should compare notes sometime.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM, <molasses at q.com> wrote:

> Nowhere near enough roof area (or money) to put a solar array on the roof
> that would take care of entire (modest) annual electrical load of
> occupants, though we'd come a lot closer to covering summer loads with a PV
> array than higher winter loads

That is true for anyone with our dreadfully low winter insolation levels. I
don't know anyone in Portland whose PV array comes close to covering their
winter load.

> Gas water heater currently in basement
> Get rid of natural gas (personal preference)

cheapest by far for you would be to use your pilot light to heat your
water. Additional cost = zero.

> No room for large storage tank (unless it's in the basement) (solar
> systems require rather large tanks, yes? The ones I remember seeing have 2
> tanks, both 60 gal or so)

When I add solar DHW I don't have any intention of having a large storage
tank. Unfortunately most commercially available systems are as you say on
the large size.

> I'll be able to afford the change in water heaters LONG before I would
> ever (perhaps never) be able to afford a PV array or a solar water heating
> system.  Given my situation, I think PV would make more sense than solar
> water heating.

I'm not seeing your argument. Both cost money, but solar thermal is more
amenable to DIY and thus I would think potentially the cheaper option. The
climatic challenges us Portlanders face apply to both.