[Greenbuilding] small in line heat pump

Stuart Fix sfix at renubuildings.com
Thu Mar 22 14:54:56 CDT 2012

Hi Alan,

Check out the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim series. They go down to 9000 Btu/h, and
can operate to -20C. We've built a prototype that uses their ducted
fancoil unit inline with the ERV supply, with the addition of a return air
duct to feed the extra CFM.

So in operation:

- ERV operates continuously, 100-200CFM, blowing through the fancoil (must
use extremely efficient ERV for this to make sense, try UltimateAir
RecoupAerator)

- Fancoil kicks on as heating or cooling requires, using the 100-200CFM of
the ERV and sucks an additional  300-500 CFM through the return air duct.
Using the RecoupAerator makes this easy, as its ECM motors are self
balancing, so it'll compensate as the Fancoil depressurizes the system.

In addition, if your climate is cold enough to require it, the Mitsubishi
makes a PAC controller that lets you use the fancoil with an inline
electric heater even when the condensing unit outside has locked out due
to cold weather.

You'll end up upsizing the supply trunk to around 10", but that's still
small enough for the ERV to handle by itself.

This may not have made sense, drop me a line if you'd like more info or a
sketch.

Cheers,

Stuart Fix, P.Eng., LEED® AP
PHI Certified Passive House Designer
MASc. Building Science
Mechanical Engineer
ReNü Building Science Inc.

#206, 506B St. Albert Trail | St. Albert, Alberta | T8N 5Z1 | C.
780.554.8192 | sfix at renubuildings.com

Message: 1